top of page


To vote in an election in Kentucky, individuals must register to vote in their county of residence before the registration deadline. Once registered, voters will receive a postcard in the mail detailing their precinct information. Find important dates on our Elections page under the section Dates to Remember.

Vote Boxes


How to Register to Vote...

Eligible individuals can register to vote or update their voter registration information (address update, name change, party change) through the following methods:

Online: visit

In-person at any of the following locations:

  • Madison County Clerk's Office

  • Driver's License Office

  • Armed Forces Recruitment Offices

  • K-TAP

  • Food Stamps

  • Medicaid 

  • WIC

  • State-funded offices serving those with disabilities

By Mail using:

  • Kentucky mail-in voter registration form

  • Federal Postcard Application *Applicable for military members, their spouse and dependent(s), or a citizen living overseas. 

Change Political Affiliation

You may change your political affiliation between the Primary and December 31st,  to be eligible to vote in your new party's next Primary Election. If you change your affiliation anytime between January 1st and the Primary Election date, you will only be able to vote in the non-partisan races. 

Review Voter Registration

Change Political Affiliation

Voter Registration Qualifications

To register to vote in Madison County, KY, residents must meet the following qualifications:

  • U.S. Citizen and,

  • a resident of Madison County, KY

  • at least 18 years of age on or before the date of the next General Election

  • not be a convicted felon; or if you have been convicted of a felony, your rights must have been restored by an executive pardon

  • must not have been judged mentally incompetent in a court of law

  • must not claim the right to vote anywhere outside of Kentucky

NOTEKentucky has closed party Primary Elections. This means that you must be registered either as a Democrat or a Republican to be eligible to vote in that party's Primary in May. 

If you choose to register with a political group or organization, or as an Independent, you cannot vote in the party primaries, but you may vote in all non-partisan primaries. These races include:

  • City Mayor

  • City Commissioners

  • City Councilman

  • School Board

  • Soil and Water Conservation, and

  • all Judicial Offices

USA Flag

Party Change
bottom of page