Madison County was created on December 15, 1785, from Lincoln County while still apart of Virginia. It was the sixth county in Kentucky and named for Virginia statesman, James Madison, fourth president of the United States. George Adams' house was the site of the first conducted county business on August 22, 1786, near the present town of Milford. Milford was the county seat until 1798 when it was moved to land owned by Colonel John Miller, and re-named RICHMOND after his birthplace of Richmond, VA. Daniel Boone was here from 1769 to 1775; General Green Clay was an early settler, whose son, Cassius Marcellus Clay, was ambassador to Russia during the Civil War. The western pioneer Christopher "Kit" Carson was from this county.